Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Serving Well: Spotlight on Jim Pettit, HRIP, Sr. Liaison Workday HCM Project Manager, CareFusion

IHRIM Volunteer Spotlight – Jim Pettit, HRIP

Please join us in welcoming to the IHRIM Eye, Jim Pettit, HRIP, Sr. Liaison Workday HCM Project Manager, CareFusion. A long term IHRIM member, Jim has served in a number of volunteer roles and was recently elected to the IHRIM Board of Directors for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2014.

What motivates you as a volunteer?
I like to compete and win and once heard that “Life is like a game of tennis; the player who serves well seldom loses.” This sentiment is consistent with the teachings of my faith and the principles taught to me by my father. I believe that a key component in “winning” the game of life is what you return to your community and volunteerism is how I choose to participate.

I have been a volunteer of one sort or another most of my adult life. Volunteering as a youth sports coach has allowed me to create life-long relationships with members of my neighborhood while volunteering in a professional association has allowed me to create great professional relationships beyond what my “paid” work has offered.

You have been an IHRIM volunteer for a number of years, including serving on the Leadership Effectiveness Committee and most recently, welcoming new members. Please share with our readers the highlights of these experiences.
The highlight of both of these committees is the people I have had an opportunity to meet. Our profession is in many ways very unique and I’m always interested in learning more about the people who have chosen to take the steps towards getting more exposure to others in the industry either by becoming a member or volunteering to step up to a leadership position within the organization. What I learn from these people has helped me both professionally and personally.

What have you enjoyed most about your volunteer experience?
The people I’ve had an opportunity to meet along the way.

Congratulations on being elected for a second time to the IHRIM Board of Directors! Why did you run for the IHRIM Board?
While serving on the Board during my first term I had a career change away from the HR systems focus of many of our membership. Upon returning to the industry I had the yearning to serve again and felt my experience as a business owner would provide an additional perspective to the Board to go with my experience as a practitioner, vendor and consultant.

What are you looking forward to most as you begin your term on January 1, 2014?
Technology advancements have provided the tools to change the face of how HR departments are expected to support their organizations. IHRIM is in the forefront of helping HRIS professionals navigate the sea of opportunity these technologies have provided. I’m looking forward to working with my fellow Board members and the association in developing the strategy on how IHRIM can continue to be the recognized knowledge source for our membership and customers.

For more information on IHRIM’s Volunteer Program and how you can get involved, go to http://bit.ly/IHRIM_Volunteer_Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment